Hair and Beauty
There are over 300,000 employed in the hair and beauty industry with over half being self employed. It is an industry that creative minds and hairdressing is in the top 10 apprenticeships applied for.
- £6.2 billion annual turn over.
- Nearly a third of the total work force are aged between 16 and 24.
- 90% of the work force are female.
- The North West is the second largest area, with 13.5%, within the hair and beauty workforce.
- An average human grows over 590 miles of hair in their lifetime.
- We’ll have around 480 haircuts in our lifetime.
- Women spend on average, 15 months of lifetime applying make-up.
(Facts courtesy of www.simonjersey.com)
We recognise that the hair and beauty industry is a popular career aspiration amongst our student population and at the McKee we aim to inspire our students by giving them the skills and knowledge they need to take their first steps onto their career ladder.
We follow the ASDAN Hair and Beauty Vocational Taster which enables students to focus on the following 6 areas:
- Customer service
- Nail services
- Basic hairdressing techniques
- Basic facial treatments
- Health and safety in hair and beauty
- Careers in hair and beauty
Lead Tutor: Hollie Jacques
For more information on our Hair and Beauty career pathway, please email us.